The Tartu Peace Treaty marked the end of the Estonian War of Independence and established the country as an independent republic.
The main solemnities took place in Tartu, starting at 9.00 a.m. with the laying of commemorative wreaths on the War of Independence memorial at Paulus cemetery.
Wreaths were also laid at Raadi cemetery, at the grave of freedom fighter Julius Kuperjanov (1894-1919).
Another ceremony took place at the Kalevipoeg war memorial, attended by Mayor of Tartu, Urmas Klaas (Reform), Education Minister Tõnis Lukas (Isamaa), Estonian National Defense College (Kaitseväe akadeemia) chief and Brig. Gen. Vahur Karus, joined by University of Tartu alumni representatives.
Later that day a gathering at Vanemuise 33 saw speeches made by high school pupils and candles placed at the basrelief depicting Jaan Poska, (1866-1920).
The Treaty of Tartu was signed on February 2, 1920, and concluded the War of Independence, which had raged since 1918, in Estonia’s favor.